Medill School of Journalism graduate with experience as a Reporter/Web Producer. Proven skills in research, verbal and written communication, identifying topics and trends, interviewing sources, and social media account management. Experienced in newspaper and online publications with background in covering local politics, health care policy and law enforcement issues. Able to multitask, analyze and resolve problems, a strong team player with interpersonal skills to work in any environment.
Proficient in Associated Press Style, Microsoft Suite, social networking management (Facebook and Twitter), Photoshop, content management systems (Sitefinity), e-newsletter (Constant Contact), WordPress, basic HTML, search engine optimization (SEO), Google Analytics
THE MEDICARE NEWSGROUP, Glencoe, IL 2012 – Present
- Identified, researched and wrote articles covering Medicare reform, economics, policy and politics which informed journalists and general audience.
- Wrote and researched features to include: Medicare’s slow acceptance of telehealth technologies, impact of tying income to Medicare premiums, and immigrant’s benefits to Medicare’s solvency, which remains in the top 10 most read content weekly.
- Analyzed and conducted research of Medicare facts and quotes in media, which uncovered inaccuracies and improved understanding of health care policy.
- Produced content such as answers to frequently asked questions and aggregated daily Medicare news, which ensured fresh and updated website information.
- Increased company’s online presence through social media and newsletters, which improved website traffic and increased newsletter subscribers.
- Engaged health care journalists, Think-Tanks, advocacy groups and health care provides via Twitter, which increased company’s Twitter followers from zero to over 1,500 in eight months.
- Created and edited daily newsletters reaching 15,000 subscribers, successfully meeting daily deadlines.
- Produced weekly and monthly reports on website traffic using Google Analytics to help develop strategies in increasing website traffic, maximize visitation time and decrease bounce rates.
THE RACINE JOURNAL TIMES, Racine, WI 2011
- Pitched and wrote stories as Night Police Reporter, which improved breaking news and crime coverage for newspaper with about 30,000 circulation.
KIMBER REY SOLANA Page 2
- Covered budget and public safety issues involving Village of Caledonia and City of Racine to inform the newspapers audience, including impact of recession-related budget cuts and major development projects.
- Photographed, shot videos and wrote captions, which enhanced online readers’ experience.
- Responded to breaking news that included significant structure fires, violent crimes, and major traffic incidents by interviewing witnesses, victims and law enforcement officials.
- Posted new content and breaking news to update website for returning online visitors.
THE SALINAS CALIFORNIAN, Salinas, CA March 2009 – April 2011
City Government/Crime Reporter
- Researched and wrote stories covering law enforcement and city government, which informed Monterey County readers and daily newspaper’s 10,000 subscribers.
- Covered and wrote copy of major breaking news including a 6,000-acre wildfire in Soledad, bus crash that killed five French tourists, and record-setting gang-related homicides in 2009 and 2010.
- Wrote feature-length front-page pieces for the weekend edition including features on efforts to remove unexploded ordnance from the former Fort Ord, and racial tension between Greenfield residents and its Oaxacan community.
- Covered and attended weekly city hall meetings and major public town hall gatherings to gain information for readers on budget cut decisions, new strategies to combat gangs, and proposals to increase the sales tax by 1%.
REPORTING ON HEALTH / FELLOWSHIP, Los Angeles, CA 2011
The California Endowment Health journalism Fellow
- Published project on the impact of gang violence on a community, focusing on the post-traumatic stress disorder affecting victims, victims’ families, witnesses and neighbors, and the care and counseling they need.
CENTERSTAGE CHICAGO / INTERNSHIP, Chicago, IL 2008 – 2009
Editorial Inter for the Sun-Times Media Group
- Copy-edited and fact-checked new and existing content.
- Wrote editorial reviews of various businesses in Chicago.
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, IL
Master of Science in Journalism
California State University Monterey Bay, Seaside, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Human Communication, Minor in Sports Administration
Suma Cum Laude, Dean’s List (2004-2006)